Question Details

[solution] » 1. A program containing twenty million instructions is executed

Brief item decscription

Step-by-step solution file


Item details:

1. A program containing twenty million instructions is executed
More:

1. A program containing twenty million instructions is executed on a system with a fixed clock cycle time of 250 pico-seconds. All instructions are executed one at a time and each instruction requires a integral number of clock cycles. The divide instruction on this machine requires 12 clock cycles and accounts for 10% of the total number of instructions executed in the program. The other 90% of the instructions in the program require an average of 5 clock cycles per instruction.


a) The clock rate for this machine is


b) The total number of clock cycles consumed by the entire program is


c) What speedup (expressed to two decimal places) would be obtained for this program by making the divide instructions twice as fast? Speedup=


2. A certain program contains multiply instructions as well as other types of instructions. The CPI for each instruction in the program is 4. The fixed cycle time for the processor on which the program runs is C nano-seconds. The total number of instructions in the program is IC.


a) An improvement is made to the multiply instruction such that after the improvement the CPI for the multiply instruction is reduced to 3. The multiply instruction accounts for N% of the total instructions in the program. Prior to the change the running time for the program was 2.85 seconds. After the change the running time for the program is 2.28 seconds. What is the corresponding value for N? That is, to what percent of the total number of instructions does the multiply instruction correspond? Express your answer to two decimal places.




b) As a different case, suppose that the multiply instruction had a CPI of 12 before the improvement and accounts for 22% of the total number of instructions in the program. All instructions other than the multiply have a CPI of 4. What speedup factor would be provided for the program by reducing the CPI for the multiply instruction from 12 to 3? Express your answer to two decimal places.

 







About this question:
STATUS
Answered
QUALITY
Approved
ANSWER RATING

This question was answered on: Feb 21, 2020

PRICE: $24

Solution~000416571.zip (18.37 KB)

Buy this answer for only: $24

This attachment is locked

We have a ready expert answer for this paper which you can use for in-depth understanding, research editing or paraphrasing. You can buy it or order for a fresh, original and plagiarism-free copy (Deadline assured. Flexible pricing. TurnItIn Report provided)

Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card. All your purchases are securely protected by PayPal.
SiteLock

Need a similar solution fast, written anew from scratch? Place your own custom order

We have top-notch tutors who can help you with your essay at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments. This we believe is a better way of understanding a problem and makes use of the efficiency of time of the student. New solution orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.

Order Now