Step-by-step solution file
Transcript of Case 9.1 Unprofessional Conduct Case 9.1
More:Transcript of Case 9.1 Unprofessional Conduct
Case 9.1 Unprofessional Conduct
Facts of the Case
Mrs. Pettit was a Special Education teacher at elementary school for over 13 years
She was a dedicated teacher and she always recieved positive reviews from the school's principal
Mrs. Pettit was also a swinger; she and her husband believed in nonconventional sexual lifesyles
Because of their beliefs, they were asked to discuss their lifestyle on 2 local television shows
they wore disguises but were recognized by one of Mrs. Pettit's co-workers
He talked to other colleagues about what he heard
A year later Mrs. Pettit and her husband joined " The Swingers" a private club that promotes diverse sexual activities amoung its members
At one of those parties Sergant Berk, an undercover police officer, observed Mrs, Pettit preforming oral sex on 3 different men in a 1 hour period
She was arrested and charged with oral copulation, which at the time broke the California Penal Code
She took a plea bargain, pleading guilty to the misdemeanor of outraging public decency and paid a fine
the school renewed her teaching contract for the next year, but 2 years later, disciplinary proceedings were initiated against her
the state board of education found no reason to complain, but the board revoked her license.
during the late 1960's it was against the law to behave in the manor that Mrs. pettit did, so she should be punished for her behavior.
the Board said Mrs. Pettit demonstrated that she was unfit to teach because she engaged in immoral and unprofessional conduct at the party
Mrs. Pettit took her case to the California Supreme Court where they agreed with the board
3 school administrators had testified that in their opinion, her conduct proved she was unfit to teach
these experts worried she would interject her views of sexual morality into the classroom, and did not think she could act as a moral example to students
This assignment will give you the opportunity to choose a case study, and then write about the ethical implications and the impact of the events that are described. Each case study includes a set of questions that you should answer. You can choose either Case Study 9.1: Unprofessional Conduct, or Case Study 8.4: Have Gun Will Travel.
You will be graded on the following criteria:
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the questions associated with your chosen case study and discuss them using concepts you learned in this course.
- Explain your rationale for each of your answers to your chosen case study.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student?s name, the professor?s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Cite your textbook as a reference.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine the considerations for and process of ethical business decision making to balance corporate and social responsibilities and address moral, economic, and legal concerns.
- Analyze selected business situations using the predominant ethical theories, such as utilitarian, Kantian, and virtue ethics to guide ethical business decision making.
- Determine the implications and impact of various civil liberty laws in the workplace, such as hiring, promotion, discipline, discharge, and wage discrimination.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business ethics.
- Write clearly and concisely about business ethics using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric.
Choose one (1) of the following case studies for Assignment 2:
Case 9.1: Unprofessional Conduct?
Located on page 342 of your textbook
- Do you believe the Board of Education violated her right to privacy? Were they justified in firing her? Explain two to three (2-3) major reasons why or why not.
- Was Pettit?s behavior unprofessional or immoral? Do you believe she was unfit to teach? Provide a rationale for your position.
- If teachers have good performance inside the classroom, should they also be held to a higher moral standard outside the classroom? Explain why or why not.
- Analyze five (5) behaviors you believe would show unprofessional or immoral conduct for a teacher.
Running head: UNPROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
August 30, 2016
In perusing the case study 9.1, there...
This question was answered on: Feb 21, 2020
This attachment is locked
We have a ready expert answer for this paper which you can use for in-depth understanding, research editing or paraphrasing. You can buy it or order for a fresh, original and plagiarism-free copy (Deadline assured. Flexible pricing. TurnItIn Report provided)
Need a similar solution fast, written anew from scratch? Place your own custom order
We have top-notch tutors who can help you with your essay at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments. This we believe is a better way of understanding a problem and makes use of the efficiency of time of the student. New solution orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.